Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bumps and bruises!

Well, that's 2 helmets down in less than a year!!

In training yesterday I took a pretty gnarly spill off my bike, landing on my right hip and smacking my head pretty solidly on the ground. Sometimes even having good handling skills can't get you out of a jam. I knew I was going down, so I did what I could to limit the damage. Unlike most people, my natural reaction is not to throw my arms out to catch me... it seems I like to catch myself with my head instead! I end up doing do a "tuck and roll" which keeps collarbones etc. safe from harm. The bruise around my hip is pretty spectacular. I had it bandaged up all day so I was pretty shocked last night when I took a look at it and saw the beginnings of serious green and blue artwork! I did an excellent job if I may say so myself! Helmet is cracked in 2 places... better than my head... and the reason, again, why no one should ever ride a bike without a helmet!!

After my easy afternoon, including a walk to try to keep things moving, I was back in the pool this morning. I could have done without the full body stinging when I first got in, but the swim did my joints well. It wasn't a great swim, but it got the blood moving and eased some of the stiffness. I'll head back to the pool later today to swim again and try a bit of water running. Hopefully, I'll be able to resume a more normal routine tomorrow and by Monday it will be nothing but a distant memory.

No comments: