Friday, April 24, 2009

Mazatlan, Mexico

After a whirlwind homecoming in LA, I am now in Mazatlan, Mexico for the ITU Continental Cup taking place here on Saturday.

I raced here last year, it was the site of the Pan American Championships, so am very familiar with the course and surroundings. It seems that they have shifted the course down a little bit, away from the massive surf, probably because the waves were about 9 foot when they sent us off and a lot of the women had serious trouble navigating their way through the break. I'm eager to have another go here, as my performance last year left me a but unsatisfied. There are 8 women scheduled to race. I will be wearing #51, as the highest ranked female starting. I just want to have a solid day and see what I can do.

My return to Los Angeles/Santa Monica has fantastic. It has been so great to catch up with everyone. It was also really great timing because I got to celebrate my 25th birthday with them on Monday. We all went out to Typhoon, a restaurant that overlooks the Santa Monica airport. The food was great but the company was even better. It was a really nice way to celebrate the day.

The transition back has been a little difficult. My body has taken its time adjusting to the different time zone and the new germs. I've been fighting off a bit of sickness and exhaustion, but am starting to come around... just in time! After this trip, I will head back to LA for two days before moving on to Boulder for a few weeks of training at Altitude. It is going to be really hard to pack up and leave again, but I guess that's all part of the job! I'm never in one place for very long!

No comments: