Wednesday, August 18, 2010

tortoise vs. hare

The only way to look at the last few weeks is to see it as an opportunity to grow and to learn about myself as an athlete. I've basically had to put my training on hold for the last 2.5 weeks which has been very frustrating for me but my body has given me absolutely no other choice. Now, just under 4 weeks out from Budapest, my body is finally turning the corner and starting to give me the okay to do some work.

It took me a while to regroup and to understand how I could take this setback and use it as I move forward, but I now see it as a great learning opportunity. Preparation for races is rarely going to be perfect and, often times, when we think it has been, we end up having the worst performances at the races. I don't know if that is pressure or expectations or simply believing that we have done all the right things when we have forgotten to do the most important thing of all... rest. This lead up to Worlds will be far from "ideal" in anyones interpretation of "triathlon training" but that doesn't mean that I can't have another solid performance on the day. It is a good lesson to learn, heading into a big event, to feel unprepared and to adapt along the way to do the best I can to be as prepared as I can possibly be. Who knows, it could be Olympic trials in a year, only 4 weeks away, and something like this could happen. If it does, I will be doubly grateful that I was patient and took the time to learn this lesson now.

I do need to say thank you for all of the positive words of encouragement and support from everyone close, and not so close, to me. Having the reminders and the people to lean on through all of this has certainly made it a lot easier.

Sometimes, you have to go slow to go fast. And, even if I don't go all that fast at the end of this, realizing the importance of taking the time to really assess how I'm doing and how my body is coping is a lesson that will keep me injury and illness free down the line.

In other more "fun" news: my website is officially under construction... yes, finally! It will be www.jennashoemaker.com and should be launched in the next 2-3 weeks!!

No comments: