Sunday, January 11, 2009

One day at a time...

Intensity and volume have slowly crept in. I am now into my second phase of training and hopefully this one will be completely injury free. After 3 mishaps - my knee problem, a sprained ankle and then a 2 day stomach bug - I think, rather I hope, that my bad luck will be set aside for at least a little while.

I've finally found a bit of a groove and am just ticking over with my training. The run mileage is increasing and there is plenty of strength work, plenty of hills and plenty to just rip every shred of life out of my little legs. Riding has been going increasingly well and even though I often find myself entering the sessions wondering how I'm going to make it through without falling apart, I always seem to find another gear. I'm learning to hurt and to perform even when I'm not sure I can.

As long as things keep going according to plan, my coach has now informed me that I am to race in Hobart at the Australian Sprint National Championships on February 15th. So, it appears, that I now have an opening race for 2009. I think it will be a good indication of where my fitness is at and what I need to continue to work on. I wasn't planning on racing until mid-March, so I am going to have a bit of a "cram" session for the next 5 weeks in an attempt to prep for this hit out.

I am excited about the challenge and excited about the road ahead. It's nice to see progress being made even though I still have a long way to go!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna,
Check out this website: http://www.hottriathletes.com

Based on your photos, I think that you'd be a great addition!

Anonymous said...

hi Jenna, do you get to spend some time in tasmania after the race ?
You should head out of hobart and check out some of the wilderness areas - there are some really spectaluar scenery in tasmania...was there a few years ago...

E

Stephen Wright and Jacob Shoemaker said...

Hey Jenna!
Just filled out your athlete survey! Hope the study helps you :)
Love,
Jake