Saturday, May 17, 2008

Garmin Forerunner 405

I finally had a chance to unpack a bit and to pull out my Garmin Forerunner 405. Although I originally had it back in February, Garmin took it back for a few weeks to upload some new software to it, so I haven't had much chance to really play with it until now.

The device is really quite phenomenal. I find it to be both functionally and aesthetically pleasing. I would say the simplicity of the functions and the ease with which the unique bezel scrolling mechanism work are great improvements over its predecessor. Not to mention, the big obvious change, the smaller size which allows it to be worn comfortably on the wrist like a watch making it much easier to run with. In a matter of a few minutes with the instruction manual I was able to master the device to the point where I felt comfortable taking it out on the road with me. There are some cool functions, like the racer that you can set at a specific pace against you and the ability to load and set individualized workouts, that I have not played with yet and will take a bit more time to learn.

I used the watch on my ride today and am really excited to see the results from it. I had it on the mode where it stops the timer when I am stopped, which I think is an awesome function, especially when you have to deal with traffic lights during a workout. I also made the bezel less sensitive to touch so that while I was working out an accidental touch would not change the display or interrupt the workout.

The two things that Garmin is still working on, and I know they are working very hard at, are the waterproofing of the device and the compatibility with Mac computers. The compatibility issue is the only thing stopping me from downloading my data and loading it for all to see.

I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already.