Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My body just knows when it's time to race.

The body is incredible. Somehow it just knows when it is getting close to race time.

I was in the pool on Sunday, you know, when I cried into my goggles and my body had just shut down. I took Monday off, did a little painting to relax and to clear my head (which was brilliant by the way) and was back to work today.

I was hoping I'd get to swim practice this morning and just be ready to rock and roll. My body had other ideas. It was certainly not nearly as terrible as Sunday, but I still could not get going. We had a series of hard 50 meter sprints and my heart rate was at 140 during them, meanwhile, everyone around me had their hearts beating out of their chest. It got a bit better as the session progressed, but I was pretty frustrated. I want to feel good, to know that all my hard work is going to pay off and come race day I'm going to fly. But I have to remember, my body knows, all of my best races have come when I have felt terrible in the pool leading into them. So, staying calm is key.

My runs have been great for the last few days. For once, I actually feel ready and am psyched to run a 10k. It's almost as if my body knows the run normally makes me nervous and has decided to show me why I shouldn't be.

My last hard session before the race was this afternoon. I had a brick workout with some treadmill intervals. I was astonished by my success. I finished my last treadmill interval and literally looked at Siri with my mouth open. I couldn't believe I ran as fast as I did for as long as I did and I wasn't really sure how I did it. It just kind of happened. Apparently, my legs are ready to run fast. It was a great confidence boost leading into the weekend. I hope my legs decide they want to run fast on Saturday!!

I'm excited that it is time to go race again, though I can't believe how quickly it has come around. It'll be fun to see where I am at now compared to where I was back in January. I know I'm ready, so it is just time to let all of that hard work come out of me.

1 comment:

IronGambit said...

hey! It was good to meet you also ;)
Sorry I couldn't get you a bike!