Monday, February 4, 2008

So many races...

It seems, that the race calendar for the beginning of this season is just jam packed. There is pretty much at least 1, if not 2, races for me to seriously consider racing every weekend starting in early March. I'm currently working with Siri to try to figure out the best plan of attack, which is, as always, a big guessing game. Some of that depends on where my run fitness goes over the next few weeks and some of it also depends on what races I am given starts at (for World Cups at least). So, it remains a mystery, to all of us, where I will be racing next.

Everything is back to great here. After my minor meltdown last week, I picked myself back up and sorted things out. Now I am back on track and training even better. I think sometimes the minor breakdowns are a good way to just clear your head, let it all out, and to refocus on the goals at hand. It has certainly been an adjustment for me this year, having people to train with all of the time. I am so used to being on my own all of the time that the constant comparison is sometimes tough to deal with. I know it is so good for me, but it has taken a bit of an adjustment.

The adjustment is certainly not over, and I still need reminders, but I am learning when to worry about where I stand and when to just focus on the workout at hand and completing it to the best of my ability at that moment. After all, the real racing takes place later this year, and what happens today or tomorrow is not a reflection of what will happen when I step on the start line. It can certainly help to make me tougher and to make me faster, but everyone has good and bad days, as we have seen here at camp already, and I think for me, the consistent training is going to make a world of difference come April and beyond.

I can honestly say that I have never done the work before... but I'm doing the work now.

No comments: