Sunday, January 20, 2008

Pantene Beautiful Lengths

As I mentioned before, I decided a few months ago that I wanted to donate my hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths Campaign. I realized that my hair was quite long and instead of just getting a traditional trim I figured that I could do something good and give my hair to someone who really needs it.

While I was in NYC with my sister I decided that it was time to cut it, despite knowing it would be rather short after the cut. I thought about waiting a few more months, but really, in the end I recognized that I have no real attachment to my hair, as I know it will grow back and it tends to do so rather quickly. When I asked the hair dresser, Oscar, to cut off 8 inches, I think it scared him more than it bothered me. He was quite nervous.

Before...
After!! 8 inches lighter!

We discussed some ideas for what the end result would look like and then I just told him to have a good time and enjoy the opportunity. I figured that most women don't do anything quite as drastic when they come into the salon, so he might relish the challenge a bit. He kept asking me how I was doing and if I was okay. Aside from the initial shock of holding the ponytail in my hands, I was totally fine. Change is fun!

My new do!

I, in fact, love my new do. It is a big change. I've never had hair this short before, but it is so easy to deal with and it doesn't get all tangled up when I train. It's quite brilliant really.

Anyway, I encourage everyone out there who has long hair to consider cutting off the 8 inches and donating them to Pantene's Campaign. The hair is used to make wigs for women battling breast cancer.

I am honored to have had the chance to donate mine in honor of my mother and her corageous fight against and defeat of breast cancer in 2006!!

1 comment:

lewister said...

Yeah for you!! I know you've made someone else very happy. I still have a few months to go before I make my Pantene donation. I'm jealous of your new do!